Friday, September 12, 2014

So Sweet… Sweet Potatoes

So Sweet… Sweet Potatoes


How many of us who have been trying hard to lose or maintain our weight have shunned sweet potatoes? A lot, I’m sure. 
Well, I have a confession to make. I too, did the same, when I wasn’t educated about nutrition and the health benefits of sweet potatoes.

I remember eating it not-so-happy as a kid when my mother made it for breakfast some times. She cooked it with brown chana and seasoned it with green chilies, ginger and urad dal. I found it very boring. I also hated the ginger bit but nevertheless ate it because it was filling. Also, my mother kept telling me that it was a very healthy one too. I never realised that I was a health conscious kid. I'm sure it's thanks to my mother who always incorporated healthy ingredients into our meals and told us about its health benefits.
Over time, I have discovered more exciting ways of eating it and also experimented with a couple of simple recipes (my creations, I can proudly say). 

Check out these quick recipes:
Cook them taking care that they do not become too soft or mushy. Leave the skin on.
- - Dice it. Take 1 tsp oil in a non-stick pan. Heat the pan. Add bit of salt, red chili or pepper powder and chaat masala and sauté on a slow flame for 5 to 10 mins.
- - Make thick slices. Spread a little green chutney on one side. Heat a non-stick pan. Spread 1 tbsp oil on it. Place the slices with the chutney side down and cook on a slow flame. Flip them and cook the other side.
Pic Courtesy: Sanjana Kodical

   - Make thick slices. Sprinkle little salt and red chili or pepper powder on one side. Heat a non-stick pan. Spread 1 tbsp oil on it. Place the slices with the masala side down and cook on a slow flame. Flip them over and cook the other side as well. (You can see the image above).
- If you are very rushed and don't have time to roast it. Just sprinkle salt and pepper powder on the slices and enjoy it. I use this as a substitute for carbs at dinner, sometimes.
Make thick slices. Make a bhajiya batter with besan and rice flour. Heat a non-stick pan. Spread 1 tbsp oil on it. Place the bhajiyas and fry on slow flame .

I will share some more healthy sweet potato recipes with you some time later. I am trying out a few interesting ones.


Coming back to myths about sweet potatoes, it is regarded as poison by weight watchers. It is put in the same category as potatoes. Now, potatoes again, is not a vegetable that has to be shunned by weight watchers. Potatoes are fattening, is again a myth. It’s how you cook it that makes it fattening and unhealthy. But more of that later, let’s stick to sweet potatoes now. Even those on a muscle gain diet can use it as a pre and post workout snack. 
Read more here. I am attaching the link to my article: 
10 Reasons To Eat Sweet Potatoes in thehealthsite.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment